Sunday, February 19, 2012

Anterograde Amnesia and 'error 0xc0000034'

Now, you remember that I have been having trouble with using both Ubuntu and Windows, and never more so than during the story that I'm about to tell.

Well, with the Narwhal touchpad working, now I went to sleep happily hoping to wake up the next morning and start my slow transition from windows to Ubuntu. Guess what happened, the next morning, it took me 5mins and 27secs to load and log into my Windows user account. A black screen just after the welcome screen with only my mousepointer visible ( that didn't come out right... uh... never mind!) for 4 mins and 38 secs, and ironically, just the third time I tried logging in, I did all the timing mentioned here.

I don't keep the drivers for my laptop in a separate disk, but keep them all in the backup and recovery disk (I learnt that this was the wrong thing to do, the hard way). And the normal XP user knows one solution for all the bugs: Reinstall windows in partition C and all will be right as rain.

Doesn't help with Seven though. If you try reinstalling with the wrong package (I tried with the Ultimate, whereas I should've tried with Home Premium) and you're prompted to do a factory reset. Which I did. And next came the parade.

Amnesia, is the term used for loss of memory. And Anterograde Amnesia is the loss of long term memory. I'm not talking about the complete erase of memory, not by any means. Usually, the patients of Anterograde Amnesia regain their memory with the help of refreshing references. You know, just like Jason Bourne did after three movies, and Jackie Chan did in that one movie (Jackie Chan kicks Jason Bourne's butt even in regaining memory). It simply is just like losing a pointer to a variable. If you replace the reference or relocate , then you're good to go.

After the factory reset, what came to be was similar to amnesia. Windows can simply not find where to begin booting!!!

At first, me and my brother thought that this was something wrong with the hard ware and we had to bid farewell to the hard disk drive. But Gamlath (again, came to the rescue) had other ideas, and the next day, we consulted the oracle that is Google.

And here we came to know what had happened. Windows, has simply lost its reference to its 'Boot Configuration Data' or 'BCD'. The fixing of this, is pretty straightforward, once you figure out a way to get a command prompt open. For that, what we did was insert another Windows 7 CD(... What??? it was not pirated! we're in the MSDNAA... *wink* ) and asked for a 'Repair' and chose the startup repair. There, the best way is to go for the 'Automatic repair' but it didn't work for us. And then , Gamlath found these instructions in the net (using his computer of course) and what followed was success.
Simply, following this link will help you sort out the issue.

Oh, by the way, pardon me for being so Socratic. I am not a holder of that much of 'Original' knowledge in this regard , and then again, who among us are? :D

4 comments:

  1. << The very first comment :D >>

    good work bro. keep it up..!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah... I remember this scene :D
    By the way, "Jackie Chan kicks Jason Bourne's butt even in regaining memory"... Nice :D
    BTW, how did you diagnose amnesia? Was there a message on the screen "Windows cannot locate the bootstrap program" or something?

    ReplyDelete